The eCommerce industry is growing exponentially. Several businesses are merchandising online. 95% of purchases will be executed online by 2040, as per NASDAQ predictions. Due to the government’s impetus on the Digital India program, the virtual shopping industry is bound to grow further. The imposed lock downs during the Covid-19 pandemic have led customers to move to online shopping more than ever.
Thus, inflating the eCommerce sales. Building an eCommerce store is more than a mere understanding of the market you are about to penetrate. It also involves expertise in branding, content strategy, and web design. It’s a great deal of work. Here is a guide to successful ecommerce website development:
- Identify the merchandise to be sold – The primary step is to identify the merchandise to be sold through your website. You need to have a precise understanding of your target customers and their expectations before you can start developing your website.
If you are selling products, you need to identify if you are going to sell physical goods that need to be delivered or digital goods. You will also want to consider how will you be managing the logistics and fulfillment strategy.
If you are selling services, think about what is most important to your customers and how to offer these services through your website. The other parameters to consider are the payment modes, customer support, and types of communication.
- Understand the business objectives – After identifying the merchandise to be sold, it is paramount to understand the objectives of your business. This will help guide the ecommerce web developmentprocess and ensure that the website is aligns with the business requirements. You need to count on things like increasing brand awareness, growing sales, or improving customer engagement.
- Know your target market – One of the essential components of ecommerce web developmentis the identification of your target market. Your website is the most critical platform for your business. That is where all your marketing efforts are channelized and all the conversions take place.
To create a customer-appealing website, you need to understand their unique needs and preferences. Audience research is perhaps the most efficient means to determine your target customers. By creating independent customer personas, you will find a way to harmonize their interests and needs and design a dynamic website suitable for all segments.
- Choose the right channel –Choosing the right ecommerce channel is one of the most crucial decisions every entrepreneur has to make. The chosen platform will decide how successful your business will be, as it affects how you promote your online store, manage your website, and also impacts user experience.
There is a variety of open-source platforms that can be used to develop your website. The preference depends on factors such as budget, the extent of customization necessary, and overall business targets. Maintaining an open-source platform creates a need for technical knowledge outsourcing to an ecommerce development company.
- Add product descriptions and photos – Online shopping is an intangible method of shopping that does not allow customers to inspect the products. The shoppers cannot touch or smell the products – they can only view them on a digital platform. Thus, online retailers are left with the burden of designing creative product displays to drive the interest of prospective shoppers by creating a feel of merchandise to be sold.
It is important to use multi-angle photos, close-ups, 360 degree spins and offer buyers more inspection alternatives. Adding product descriptions focusing on the features and benefits is vital. As it confirms the buyers whether or not the merchandise satisfies their need or intent. It is thus important that the ecommerce website development process emphasizes adding vivid product descriptions and photos.
- Include product taxonomies – Having clearly defined product categories makes it easier for customers to find what they are looking for, thus, enhancing the store’s internal search and SEO. It involves logical representation of your products to shoppers. Apart from understanding product values and attributes, merchants must be aware of customer shopping patterns.
As it allows you to classify and represent your products to meet shoppers’ expectations. Product categorization allows users to find the products they want with the fewest possible clicks. As an effective ecommerce development company, it is important to add product taxonomies to amplify the shopping experience.
- Branding your merchandise – Branding offers businesses an emotional resonance, transforming them from mere anonymous entities to audiences that can relate to. It drives brand loyalty. Having a unique brand identity distinguishes you from competitor brands in the market.
And it starts by choosing the right color palette, a memorable logo, and a distinct voice. It humanizes your brand and establishes a connection with your target audiences. Ecommerce website development is incomplete without appropriate branding.
- Devise your content strategy – At the beginning of the web development process, it is important to have a content strategy in place. It means understanding what content is key to convey your brand’s story and communicate what other products do. It may include photos, videos, infographics, writing, and other media required to best serve your customers. Content strategy is all about being acquainted with your audience.
What are their common concerns or questions about the products you sell, and what information can be of use to them? You should include content revolving around their questions and what your competitors are not providing information about. Your content strategy is the informational infrastructure of your website. You must be aware of your customer’s expectations and the best road to get the content to them. Having a robust content strategy is an integral part of ecommerce website development.
The Covid-19 pandemic has revolutionized the online shopping behavioral patterns of shoppers. More and more people are buying online. As a result, more businesses are operating online and experiencing increased sales and revenues. Thus, entrepreneurs are looking for an engaging platform in the form of ecommerce web development to sell their merchandise.
Without a solid website, an ecommerce business won’t materialize. To translate your ideas into a smooth-running online store, you need to hire a professional ecommerce development company. By partnering with a professional web development company, you can build your website tailored to your business as well as your customers’ requirements.
1. Can a beginner develop an ecommerce website?
It is easier to learn built a website than you might think. It is possible to develop your own website without any coding experience.
2. What are the functions of an ecommerce website developer?
The crucial role of an ecommerce website developer is to ensure that prospective customers can easily navigate your online store. They work on varied functionalities, from frontend ecommerce design to backend programming. And their functionalities differ based on the type of store you have.
3. How to identify what features my ecommerce website requires?
The functionalities and features of your ecommerce website should be based on your unique expectations and business model.