Among all the best CMS in the world, Drupal tops the list. Majorly because of its developer-friendly options. And just like other frameworks, it also needs version upgrades. But the version upgrade to Drupal 9 to 10 needs some checkpoints to achieve. So, your websites should involve all the necessary editors and themes. If you want to know more, let’s dive in.
What’s new in the upgrade to Drupal 9 to 10?
Just like the other new versions, the Drupal 10 development version guarantees new upgrades. You get advanced modules, themes, and other additions. Plus, the upgrade to Drupal 9 to 10 supports third-party integrations. So, you may notice many added components. And these are secure and user-friendly for the developers. Have a look at the new additions:
- You get the Claro admin theme which replaced the seven themes.
- Bartik’s theme got replaced by Olivero’s default theme.
- For new editing and formatting, you get CKEditor 5.
- Create custom themes with Theme Starter Kit
- You should have Symfony 6 and PHP 8.1 for additional security.
- You get improved Improved versions of Layout Builder and Media Library
Why upgrade to Drupal 9 to 10?
Here are some reasons to upgrade your Drupal 9 to Drupal 10 version.
- Zero support
After the announcement of Drupal 10, the community no longer supports Drupal 9. It means no bug fixes, feature releases, or security updates for it. So, it simply states that there will be no support for any Drupal 9 development projects. Websites and applications built under this version will be prone to security risks. Or the lack of support may worsen the situation.
- Security risks
If not getting the regular updates Drupal 9 will eventually become more vulnerable. So, new security threats can emerge and there will be zero support from the community. And, it becomes essential to upgrade the version to the latest Drupal 10. You can consult a Best website development company in India for more assistance. Because it offers ongoing support and security.
- Compatibility issues
Drupal 9 may face compatibility issues evolving with time. With the new version in use, you get libraries, modules, and themes for websites. So, these compatibility roadblocks can lead to severe application issues. And, it’s better to upgrade to Drupal 9 to 10 for the latest updates to your websites.
- Missed enhancements
The latest Drupal version offers new features and additions for website developers. If you continue to work on Drupal 9 you will miss the major thing. Plus, it will eliminate your chances to be competitively ahead of the market.
Steps to follow to upgrade to Drupal 9 to 10
Here are the guided instructions to follow for the upgradation.
Step 1: Review system requirements
- Check if your environment matches Drupal 10 needs. Even verify the PHP version, extensions, libraries, etc.
Step 2: Update contributed modules
- Check if your modules of Drupal 9 match with Drupal 10 to integrate themes.
- Verify each module and theme for upgrade to Drupal 9 to 10 to check for any compatibility issues. Or you can consult module/theme maintainers to check Drupal 10.
Step 3: Revamp custom code
- Update the custom modules and custom theme development to ensure complete compatibility.
- Check for deprecated functions, API changes, code removal, and other adjustments.
Step 4: Backup your content
- So, to safeguard your data, take a backup of all your data from Drupal 9. Because Drupal 10 development brings lots of changes that may cause disturbances in the database.
- And it also ensures to revert if you face any issue in the upgrade process.
Step 5: Upgrade Drupal core
- So, update your Drupal core modules and dependencies. And then you run the commands for the updations.
- And if the composer of this upgradation gets completed you can check with other updates. So, when your site upgrades to Drupal 10 you can clear the cache with Drush.
After the successful upgrade to Drupal 9 development to 10 review and address any issues. Try to check for the contributed modules or code that need any revamp as per change. You can consult a website development company in India for more assistance.
Checklist for a Drupal 10 upgradation
Here are some pointers to involve in the latest versions.
- Ensure your website is all updated to the latest version. Because the importance of web development can affect your version upgrade.
- You should list all the installed themes and libraries.
- Look for documents and custom modules that are upgraded to Drupal 9 to 10 compatible. The Upgrade Status module can assist you in quickly identifying the module.
- Because it quickly goes through and lists all of the modules on the website. It also helps to be aware of new versions, releases, updates, etc. Furthermore, this module removes any outdated modules.
- Check for the deprecated code, modules, and themes via the Upgrade Status module.
- Update the donated to compatibility with Drupal 10.
- Manually update the custom modules as per the Drupal 10 version.
- Update the functional themes to the latest Drupal version.
- Deprecated code should get updated for custom themes with Drupal 10. The website development costs in India are available at affordable rates.
- Ensure Drupal 10 is compatible with libraries and uninstall any unwanted modules.
- Update your core competencies composers, updates, and themes to the Drupal 10 version.
Conclusion: Upgrading to Drupal 10 is not a new thing it’s similar to previous versions. But you need to track some of the new requirements the latest is giving. And above-mentioned is the basic checklist to follow for the same. For more consideration, consult Drupal 10 Development for your projects.
Q. What is the minimum core version for Drupal 10?
PHP 8.1 or higher is required for Drupal 10. PHP versions 8.1. 0 through 8.1. 5 have a bug in the PHP OPcache that may cause intermittent fatal errors at runtime for class autoloading, so PHP 8.1 is recommended.
Q. What are the highlights of Drupal 10?
Drupal 10 enhances the content creation experience with new media management tools, a new media library, and more intuitive forms for creating and editing content.
Q. How should you get ready for Drupal 10?
- If you haven’t already, install Drupal 9.
- Drupal Upgrade Status should be installed.
- Check to see if any of your contributed modules require an upgrade.
- Determine which deprecated APIs require custom code fixes.
- Ensure that all deprecated APIs are removed.