Drupal 9 has finally hit the marketplace and all set to provide new features and functionalities to enterprise websites. All those who are still running their platform on the previous versions of Drupal 7/8, might not find the need to upgrade. It is because of the fact that several companies think that upgrading to a new platform is time-consuming, needs more investment, and unnecessary when an earlier version is working smoothly. All the more, few enterprises do not entertain such thoughts as they have already availed Drupal 8 development services sometime back.
So, why there is a need to upgrade to Drupal 9?
The answer to this question lies in the deadline imposed by the Drupal community about the End of Life of Drupal 7/8 anytime soon. Earlier, it was decided till November 2021. But looking at the prevailing conditions brought in by the pandemic, the deadline has shifted to November 2022.
EOL (End of Life) simply means the Drupal community will no longer work on the previous versions and there will be no free support from any side. It does not mean that your Drupal 7/8 website will stop working. But, it will not be receiving any technical support and security that is used to experience.
So, the only viable option that lies in front of website owners is upgrading the platform from Drupal 7/8 to Drupal 9.
Some Major Issues that Business Might Face:
* Security is at Risk: After the End of Life for the Drupal 7/8 platform, any kind of security vulnerability will not be entertained and fixed by the Drupal community. This leads to your website being at great risk.
* High Operating Cost: Getting the support of the EOL version of the Drupal website could be really expensive. As only a few organizations will provide the necessary support at a high cost.
* Incompatibility: You might have a compliance issue if you utilize the earlier versions of third-party integrations like payment gateway, social media connect, and more. It will be essential for you to upgrade to the latest version of the Drupal platform.
Why should you Upgrade to Drupal 9?
With the end of life duly approaching fast, it will not be a feasible option for enterprises to run Drupal 7/8 having security, feature-related, and other issues.
3 Reasons to Consider Upgrading Site to Drupal 9
* The Drupal security team will not help you longer in terms of providing an optimum level of support and protection.
* After the end of life, Drupal 7/8 will be flagged as insecure in 3rdparty scans that will make the integration with third-party tools go difficult.
* Especially for Drupal 7 website developers, popular hosting providers will draw their support leaving them without having too many options.
What’s New to Find in Drupal 9?
From the above information, you must have understood the fact that it’s time for you to hire Drupal web developers and finally upgrade to Drupal 9, without wasting much time.
But before doing this, let’s take a closer look at some of the prominent features of Drupal 9 that will surely make a difference.
1. Backward Compatible
Drupal 9 is backward compatible with its predecessors Drupal 7 and Drupal 8. The new version uses the modules, configuration, and data created on the previous versions in a hassle-free manner.
To preserve this function, Drupal 9 does not experience any kind of historical baggage, performance issue, and the system remains unaffected. In this way, Drupal module development will be clutter-free, fast, and efficient.
2. Better Performance
There is no doubt in the fact that performance-wise Drupal 9 is much better than its predecessors. And, it is best reflected in the following manner.
* Content Workflow helps to define multiple workflows.
* BigPipe increases the page view performance and supports faster initial page loading.
* It offers multi-lingual capabilities.
3. Clean Code Base
Drupal 9 does not support depcrated code that helps in making a cleaner version of the code. And, it helps Drupal 9 fully compatible with Drupal 9. This is required to make the end-result to be more nimble and improves the overall website performance to an optimum extent.
4. Headless CMS
Drupal 9 capitalizes on Headless CMS to enhance the user experience with the powerful front-end of the website. It further provides the following essential features.
* Create once & publish anywhere
* Front-end freedom
* API-First approaching
* Easier resourcing
Upgrade your enterprise website to Drupal 9 to have complete community support, optimum level of security, and upgraded features. At last, it is all about making an impact with your website to reach the targeted audience, offering an enhanced level of user experience, and advanced services. Get in touch with a reliable Drupal development company like Drupal India to hire developers and get upgraded to the new version of the CMS before the end of life.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is Drupal?
Drupal is one of the topmost Content Management Systems (CMS) preferred by large, medium to small enterprises to manage content and information effectively. A majority of business owners who are already accessing the Drupal 7 and Drupal 8 versions of the CMS can now upgrade to the all-new and feature-rich Drupal 9.
2. Why It is Necessary to Upgrade Drupal Website?
As per the information shared by the Drupal community, Drupal 7 and Drupal 8 will soon witness the end of life of the cycle after November 2022. After that, there will be no community support, security features, and will have several compatibility issues. So, to make sure your website runs efficiently and effectively, it is necessary to upgrade to Drupal 9.
3. How Much Cost is involved in Drupal Website Development?
The estimated cost of developing a Drupal CMS for a particular website relies on several conditions like price, features, functionalities, nature & scope of the project, complexity, and more.